Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I tend to overthink things a lot. I tend to analyze, overanalyze, and then analyze the overanalysis. That being said, I tend to talk a lot about the same thing for a long time. Whether it's something that overtly fascinates me, worries me, terrifies me, or confuses me, I can keep at it for quite a while.

It's a bit of a burden, actually. One I sometimes place on my family and friends. And at certain moments, it's unbearable for every party.

It's one of the curses of being a writer. When you have an idea as a writer, utter devotion to that idea is essential. It becomes your bread and butter - your water to drink, your sleep, your breath, your love. If you lose one iota of passion for it, it can stay untouched for ages. It's happened to me many times before, though I can occasionally revisit a concept I may have lost touch with.

The downside is sometimes you can't stop obsessing about an idea. Any idea. And it drives people mad. But it drives the writer the maddest. That can't be denied.

With the brunt of my work, my writing, and my health on my shoulders, I find myself on the road of obsession a lot. I'm lucky, subsequently, to have friends who understand that problem. Many of them are in the same boat I'm in, and we each have a paddle to stroke with. My girlfriend is very accepting and forgiving of my occasionally overwhelmingly analytical mindset - a gentle reminder is what she likes to give me from time to time when I become too over the top - and it's one of the many reasons why I love her. Even my family, though they can get very frustrated on me about particular topics, is there to help. Everyone has been down roads like this before. The key is understanding that everyone has his or her own obstacles.

No one does not occasionally worry, obsess, overanalyze, or stress. This world, and especially this generation, is saturated with truths and lies all mixed into a gigantic and mostly cyber-operative blender. We become afraid of the things we know and embellish, and we fear the things we don't know and cannot ever control. I sincerely hope that for future generations this is not a continual problem, because if so, we'll all need a good friend or lover to calm us down over a cup of cocoa while the traumas of the real world dissolve around us into deep, silver puddles.

Writer's Quotation of the Week:

Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining it.
- Hannah Arendt

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD