Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I thought I was going to talk about my first official rejection letter (actual paper rejection letter, not "rejection e-mail" - I don't count those) - a kind, personal note from a publisher telling me to keep sending out my manuscript, thinking it was a "good novel" and love story. I was going to type out my thoughts and feelings about it, as well as my promise to save and tack up every single rejection letter I get. And how I will work hard to see my writing exposed to an audience who wants to read it.

Instead, something happened today at work that I can't get out of my head. So as much as I could be sappy regarding the rejection letter and perseverance and confidence (and a very kind Eloise Klein Healy from Arktoi Books, who I thank with all my heart for her words and time) despite any setback - I'm going to hit on something else. And that something is:

I hate bullying.

I've mentioned the terrible power of bullying in a previous Introspection, and I'll say it again - bullying should never exist. The fact that people think bullying is a pleasant hobby - or a fun pastime - or even a way to defend loved ones is disgusting to me. There are no excuses for bullying. None.

I will not even bully those I believe to be terrible people. That just makes me the same.

I'm bringing this up because I see a lot of bullying from students at the school I work at. One student who I will not name has decided it's okay to recruit her friends to "swarm" and harass a second grader should she find her sister to be in distress. I so badly wanted to call out both her and her sister, sit them down and give them the talk, but they walked home before I even heard what happened from the frightened victim. I am proud of that bullied student who was brave enough to tell me, her teacher, what happened.

Too many teachers and staff sit idly by in schools, letting kids be bullied for looks, size, color, religion, disability, or sexual identity. I will not be one of those people. I have a zero-tolerance for bullying. I was bullied and picked on as a kid, and no one should have to go through the same thing I did.

Seriously, I'ma go anti-bully on those students. For real.

(I promise never to type in gangsta speak ever again.)

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

Writing comes more easily if you have something to say.
- Sholem Asch

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD