Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Six days from now, I will be turning twenty-three. Twenty-three is what I like to consider a "comfortable" age. There are no significant turning points - no rites of passage, no lifting of past taboos, no celebration that you can drive, vote, or drink (the third of which people seem to be most passionate about, which I've never gotten). It's still a young age, not something to complain about.

Twenty-three is also the age in which I have been out of school for a year, have worked official jobs the entire year, have had an amazing girlfriend for over a year, and now have a future to work toward. Since the start of 2012, I have received three rejection letters, and all of them have been tacked onto my wall (my little Hall of Fame, if you will). I have written over five hundred different pieces of work on this blog, and while none of them will ever be "officially" published, I don't mind. This blog is serving the exact purpose I wanted it to - as a way to exercise and strengthen my writing.

It has been a year of trials and errors since my twenty-second birthday. It has been a year of love, passion, pain, anxiety, and much, much more. I've been able to make new connections while still keeping my closest friends. I've tried new things. I've debated going to different places. This year may be a "comfortable" age, but every day is an adventure, good or bad. My career outlook has always been rocky, and my prospects uncertain. The key is the journey - not the result.

So by the time June 21st rolls around, it's so long to the double deux and hello to something old and new at the same time. I'm ready for it. No matter how much my worries urge me to think that I'm not.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up the pen and writes.
- William Makepeace Thackeray

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD