Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

There are a lot of things that people take for granted, especially when it comes to their appendages.

Two days ago, I badly sprained the ring finger on my right hand while playing basketball at the school I work at. It was me and another teacher against over a dozen boys ranging from 2nd grade to 5th grade, and they could get vicious. In the end, my hand got smacked by the basketball, and I had to ice the painfully bent finger with a frozen juice box as I taught my second grade literacy class.

I first thought that I had just jammed my finger, as I had done before while in sports. What I forgot was that a basketball, unlike a dodgeball and a bouncy ball, has a lot more weight, has a tougher exterior, and can really pack a wallop. I went home in extreme pain, my finger practically immobile at that point, and debated going to the doctor the next day.

Fortunately, after splinting my finger using half an emory board and some adhesive tape, the pain has significantly lessened to a dull ache. I can moderately bend my finger, but I've kept it splinted for about 90% of the time. The skin around my lower joint is still swollen, like a bubble, most likely due to trapped air and fluids after the swelling started to die down. In the end, I consider myself very lucky.

Here's the thing: To some people, having a crippled ring finger doesn't seem like a problem. I mean, you've got your dominant fingers still intact to write and what not. Here's the thing: I've realized that I rely on my ring finger for a lot. When it's splinted, I can barely use a pen. I can barely unlock doors or even rummage through my pocket for my keys or phone. Tonight, as I was trying to dip my quesadilla into guacamole, I got sour cream all over my makeshift splint. Having any part of the body in need of mending is going to come back to get you, even if it's just a bent up pinky. Your fingers are worth a lot, and thank God mine are still intact.

A lot of people questioned why I didn't go to the doctor to get my finger X-rayed, and truth be told, I do have it in mind in case by Monday there hasn't been more drastic improvement. But I considered myself very lucky. I'm a worrier, but I have family who can look at my injuries and tell me whether or not I'm okay. My already speedy road to recovery tells me that I'll be fine. I'm 95% sure I didn't break a bone, and in the end, it's all about remembering how important it is to be alive and in one piece.

In the meantime, my Halloween party's tomorrow. I'ma be a Hobbit. Cannot wait.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
- Elbert Hubbard

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues