Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 62.0: July 11th, 2007

Lover's Game
by Belinda Roddie

When I found him, he was barely breathing
But his heart was raging in a mad symphony
And his hand was out as if he were reaching
Toward the moon upstaging his silhouette in the grass
I lifted him carefully, as if he were made of glass
And moved to save him from his mind’s cacophony

While he slept, I perused his gentle features
And I was reminded of what pervaded his senses
How could it be, in such a man I called my teacher,
A beast resided in what used to be good dreams
And silently, but with wrath, ripped them at the seams?
So I moved to answer and resolve the question

But alas, the beast could not be easily tamed
I was not the chosen conductor for this elegy
So for the rest of the night, I let him sleep
And his mind play the foolish lover’s game

As he woke, I retained a modest distance
For, though I did lead him to his recovery,
I felt it not in my place to touch, but listen
As ears could gently heed him when fingers did wrong
And, though his tired eyes could not remain open for long
I saw he had perceived then my presence and said to me:

“My child, when you found me I was barely breathing
Though my heart was singing of old romance
Which I had learned from girls truly misleading
But you, for bringing me here, I thank you for your actions
Though I do not appear or feel as placid
As the tide which, in morning, the sun caresses.

I have a beast that cannot be easily tamed
Dwelling in my heart, causing this cacophony
But I shall compose it into a symphony
If you, my student, watch me fiercely maim
The monster in this foolish lover’s game.”

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since July 11th, 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues