Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

So a few things. First of all, it wasn't the end of the world. The Mayans never predicted it, and long-count calendars, when they end, get replaced with new long-count calendars. This is why common sense is a useful tool, people.

But what a day it was, anyway. The biggest highlight was the fact that I snatched up some fiction and poems, went to an alumni showcase for the performing arts program at my former high school, and performed in front of a good chunk of people as an '07 graduate.

I was part of an arts program called Marin School of the Arts, and I dabbled in a lot. Creative writing, theater arts, and jazz choir, specifically. Now, obviously I have presence, and I certainly write, sing, and perform music. But writing was what I ultimately went back to as my main passion, and it was also what I did for my first two years of high school. Being on a stage again reading my work in front of former high school colleagues and mentors was definitely interesting, and though I got a lot of great feedback, I felt like I was being thrust back into my high school years. And my high school years weren't exactly ideal.

Not that they were awful. It's just that back in high school, I wasn't exactly as creative, snarky, or honest with myself as I am now. I'm much happier to be in my twenties than in my teens, and I'm sure most people would agree. The thing is, because I wasn't as outgoing and I was more awkward, I didn't make a whole lot of friends. Sure, I got along with most, but I had my flaws. And I still have my flaws.

Tonight, when I went to the afterparty, I started to understand just how far I and everyone else have come. Many of us who went to high school together are still practicing our arts and creative works and maintaining the passion. But we've all become very different people, with our own friends, desires, and priorities. I left early to see some good friends (and my sister), and it just felt so different. Growing up means figuring out what niche you fit best in and what people you get along with most. And I've learned a lot about that while visiting good friend and re-visiting friends who I may not always regularly stay in touch with.

I have grown a lot, and I will continue to grow. Some friends and I will move our separate ways, and other friends and I will grow even closer. I will make new friends, and I will remember old ones. I the end, I will continue to write, teach, and love - because I'm good at it, and I'm someone who's got enough in her to succeed in all three facets.

No writer's quotation this week, I'm too tired. Long day. Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues