Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

So, I'm kind of tired of going over every hardship in my workplace (it has gotten better, though), or delving too deeply into my latest test-taking (looks like I passed the CBEST - yay!), so I'ma just gonna talk about a crisis I have that is significantly more frivolous.

I have normally been very good with titles. Hell, sometimes I create stories based on titles I scrounge up. The Sequined Door came very quickly for me title-wise, and my poems usually start with a title and go from there. But for the life of me, I cannot - cannot - think of a title for my latest novel.

I've just finished reading it aloud to a friend and have edited it frequently. No matter what, no one seems to be able to find a title for it. The premise is simple enough - it follows particular tropes, but my colleagues claim it's a strong character piece. And yet every title I think of is either cheesy, vague, too formal, or just weak.

My sister keeps jokingly insisting that I should call it, "Cabin in the Woods." First of all, no. Second of all, Joss Whedon would kill my soul. Third of all, no.

So yeah. That's my latest situation. If any of my close colleagues reading this would like to peruse this novel, which I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2012, feel free to e-mail me. I do reserve the right to keep the novel to myself if I do not personally know you. Maybe if I can't think of a title, someone else can.

Also, I intend to write a joking "anti-dedication" for John Green, being that I used a premise similar in structure to his book An Abundance of Katherines (which I totally didn't mean to do; I seriously was not thinking about the book at all while I was writing my novel, but I guess Freud was right about subsconscious influences). While obviously our books are very different, the set-up in terms of forward plot momentum is a common trope and something we both employed. That being said: I love your work, John Green, but I shall find you and haunt you for your unintentional influence!

Just kidding, you fantastic author and inspirational person, you.

Or am I?

...Yes. Yes, I am.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

In my writing, as much as I could, I tried to find the good, and praise it.
- Alex Haley

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues