Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 79.0: January 17th, 2008

How Beautiful
by Belinda Roddie

Drop of sunset turning silver in a tiny flask,
Preserving Beauty in a bottle is no simple task,
So I see, as I watch the sunset, like fine dew,
Dry up in the subtle warmth of the crescent moon.
 
So I remove the cork and, lo and behold,
Monarch butterflies flutter in sparkles of gold
For when such is released, Beauty takes different form,
And only if free does she maintain her old charm.
 
Then I let the flask fall to the floor, and when crushed
Into fragments, they scatter as lustrous stardust,
And my friends and I gaze at our sight’s newfound treasure
As the cosmos guide us through a moonlit adventure.
 
Ah, when Beauty is freed like the leaves in the Fall,
How she warms fragile bones, how she eases my soul!
When the morning is locked, in photograph or vial,
How it changes when freed, turned to Helios’s smile.
 
For a chariot cannot kindle flame without heat,
Which a cage or a shelter never can such bequeath.
For a drop of sunset does not have to be contained,
So give it time, see it glisten – it will come again.

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since January 17th, 2008.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues