Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Friends. I think a lot of people underestimate how powerful friends are. The friends you go out for a drink with. The friends you play miniature golf with. The friends whose sweaters you cry into, when you feel like everything's disintegrating and there's a patch of dust where your sturdy skeleton used to be.

It's spring break for me right now, and being that I work at a school, I've got no work at my site. Ergo, I'm housesitting for a friend of my mom's. They've got a cute, young dog to feed and take care of, and they even told me that I could have friends over for a barbecue.

I've counted. Number of friends I have in close(ish) proximity: Five. And more than half of them I barely get the chance to see.

I know I should count my blessings for even having a handful of friends. Many of my friends, however, are down south. And yes, time and time again on my blog, I've bitched and moaned about how far away I am from them. Here's the kicker: I'm not making new friends. Whether it's because I'm inept or not is something yet to be decided.

I find so much inherent value in friendship. The ability to understand, love, and connect is so important. I'm just hoping, in my addled state, to rebuild that circle of friends. Hell, if I have my way, I'll be in the east bay by the end of summer. That means I'll be forced to build a new foundation of friends. We'll see what happens.

Cherish your friends. Enjoy the time. Don't ever regret a minute. The Girl Scout song says, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, and the other's gold." I disagree. Friends are all gold. Keep them close. Remember their value. Don't ever forget their presence.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
- Bernard Malamud

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues