Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

So lately, besides my blog, I've been attempting to either begin or revive small to medium-sized writing projects. This has proven to be exceedingly difficult, considering my energy level after finishing a day at work, and I sometimes even put off my OneWord and Poet Corner entries to ceaselessly play Tetris online and watch Youtube videos until my shoulders seize up and my back starts hurting.

I'm going to have such a hard time walking by the time I turn sixty.

Besides little worries backing up in my mind, like my struggle to lose weight and stop eating so much damn chocolate, and my little concerns with how well I'm doing my job at the school I work at, I've simply been sort of unmotivated. Of course, with every passing day, I come up with comedic ideas, dramatic ideas, all sorts of ideas - they just never really make it onto a paper or a screen. I haven't written a song in months, episode ten of my TV show is only partially written, and overall, it's been difficult getting back into an awesome writing routine since the end of my spring break. This is why I can only wish to be a full-time writer, because after I get home from my current job, I just want to crash, rather than expend my creative juices on something awesome.

Of course, I do have some ideas now that have become more persistent, which is a good sign. Persistent ideas are what got me to write my two completed novels, and it means that my brain is becoming stubborn enough to almost force me to write more. My Storyteller entries, of course, always give me an opportunity to write short fiction, but I have recently been juggling novel-length concepts. I think it's just difficult for me to get work down because, of course, it's easy to think of an idea than write it. Sometimes I just wish I could get a spoon and dollop scoops of my imagination onto the keyboard, because God knows how often I think the words sound great in my head and see them just not translate in the same way at all when I type them agggggggggggghhhhhh

So that's my situation, and I think the hardest part is just breaking away from the routine and situation I'm in now. In a few months, my year-long AmeriCorps commitment will be finished, and I will be thrown back into the uncertain environment of unemployment, which I literally and figuratively cannot afford to linger in. My girlfriend is graduating from college in June, which means she'll be moving back north, and we'll be considering moving to the East Bay together. But I can't do that without a job, or an apartment, or any sort of financial foundation. So I need to break some old habits, make some new ones, and whip my ass into shape.

It's just always so tempting to do nothing and bask in the comforts of where I am now. Which I can't do. I have to get out of this city. I have to get ooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttt.

Writer's Quotation of the Month:

Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar.
- E.B. White

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues