Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Wow. It's already almost June.

June this year means a lot of things to me. It means the end of my time as an AmeriCorps instructor at my elementary school site (though I'll still be working with AmeriCorps until July 13th). It means my girlfriend's graduation from university with a B.A. in Drama (I get to see some good friends when I go down for her ceremony, too, which is a plus). It means Father's Day (Thanks for everything, Dad). And it means my twenty-fourth birthday on the 21st.

Twenty-four is kind of an interesting age to be at. Not an awkward one, mind you. Yes, twenty-four doesn't open up anything new for you like sixteen, eighteen, and twenty-one did, but then again, twenty-three isn't meant to be a society-approved landmark year, either. Twenty-four's not quite at twenty-five, which is a nice, solid age number to be at, and hey, you get to legally rent a car! But twenty-four is still an interesting age. It's at least the same number as the hours in one day. Just a little cerebral reminder for me there.

Moving onward, I think twenty-four is going to be an odd year for me, not only because I will be transitioning job-wise...again...but also because I will be hopefully transitioning in a much bigger way. As I've stated before, it's no secret that I want to leave my hometown, move into my own place with my girlfriend, and start living as an independent adult. But I don't have anything solid to lean against for that, either. Being in the education field means little money, lots of work, and absolutely no job security. I may as well be regurgitating cover letters all year round because of the low chance of me having a well-paying education job for longer than one to two years at a time.

For my girlfriend, this will be a far bigger step for her than it is for me. Yes, I'm still up in the air about a lot of things - where will I work now? Where will I live? Can I keep paying off my loans and potential bills? Can I live on my own? What about going back to school? Can I get a teaching credential or a master's degree? But for Arden, she's being launched into full adult mode. She's going to be looking for full-time work for the very first time in her life. And she's propelling herself straight from college life into the murky, confuzzling mess that is being a grown-up.

I want to be with her through it all, to be her life-long companion as we both continue our trek towards success and stability. Again, though, I don't know how much support I can give. I'll be struggling with my own individual goals, but I want to be sure that I can be by my girlfriend's side when she struggles with hers. She turned twenty-two in March, and for her, this is only the beginning. I'll be twenty-four, and the beginning hasn't even come close to the middle.

We'll see, my handful of readers, we will see. For now, I shall succumb to consistent job hunting, finishing up my literacy program, tacking up even more rejection letters for my novels, volunteering at some summer sites, and pushing ever forward in my writing, my educational outlook, and my relationships with family, friends, and loved ones. Wish me luck in June, guys. I'm gonna need it.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

However great a man's natural talent may be, the act of writing cannot be learned all at once.
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues