Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 8.1: February 19th, 2011

Shortly after coming out as a lesbian to my family and friends, I was encouraged by a university colleague to submit a guest article to Chapman University's newspaper, The Panther. The following was published on February 19th, 2011. I still have the actual newspaper with this article in it.

Rainbow On My Sleeve
by Belinda Roddie

Members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex and ally (LGBTQIA) community have a lot of heavy tales to tell. Most revolve around the pressure of exposing one’s true sexuality, usually in front of disapproving peers or family members. We hear a lot about abuse, murders and suicides when it comes to LGBTQIA issues. These are very real problems that need addressing.

It took me nine years to come out, but I can safely say I have no sob stories to tell except my own inner turmoil. But does that mean I’m one of only a lucky few? Not necessarily. There are a lot more happy homosexuals and transgenders around than you think.

What people sometimes don’t realize is that a lot of us don’t parade our sexuality around like a flag. For me, it’s no different than mentioning I’m a musician or a writer. Usually I don’t announce that I’m gay until someone asks, and when people do ask, and I’m honest with them, they offer up the same questions: “When did you come out? How did people respond? How are you dealing with it?”

That last question amuses me because I don’t deal with it any differently than how straight people deal with their urges. Being gay doesn’t interfere with my everyday life. I go to class. I work on my novel. I rehearse with my band. I hang out with friends. I attend Catholic mass. I dream about a wedding where I wear a tuxedo and kiss a bride all dressed in white, all while I gaze longingly at a picture of Kathryn Prescott that I found on the Internet. (If you’re at all familiar with that drop-dead gorgeous British girl, props to you.)

Am I aware about the trials awaiting me? Absolutely. I know the LGBTQIA community has a long journey ahead. The fight for marriage rights, and even the right to live life without wishing to end it, is so persistent. Even when we take big steps forward, we often have to step back. Take Iowa’s challenge against its recently passed civil union laws, for example.

I can’t change people’s minds regarding whether I’m living a moral lifestyle, but I can try to convince them that I’m a strong, healthy individual. I have a supportive group of friends, a loving family and enough positive feedback to shoot me to the moon and back. There may be a lot of LGBTQIA people who are in despair, but there are loads of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders to pick them up off the ground and remind them how much better it’s going to get.

I don’t always wear a rainbow on my sleeve. But the rainbow is always there to remind me of who I am, right before I walk out of my apartment and mingle with the rest of the world like any other citizen.

As I walk onto campus for my Shakespeare class, I’m not so different after all.

To see the article on the Panther website, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues