Tonight's Poet Corner: Grateful

Grateful
by Belinda Roddie

You were grateful when I scooped
half-melted mint chip ice cream into
chipped china bowls inherited from my
materialistic grandmother, savoring the
coagulated dairy within cold, shallow reminders
of a socialite San Francisco, pearls
dripping down the sweaty armpits of
a dame desperate for the time of day
on a business mogul's pocket watch.

When I asked if you wanted seconds, you
shook your head, took my hand, and kissed
the stickiness off my knuckles where
the spoon had slipped and created a green
geyser of sugary sweetness. There was so much
we didn't have - no stocks, no bonds, no savings,
no fancy house with two luxury cars. But we had
semi-solid ice cream, and at this point,
that was worth more than the rubies glued
to my grandmother's frozen fingers six feet
under Golden Gate ground.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues