Saturday's Storyteller: "For Heritage Day, Dad dressed me as a frost giant."

by Belinda Roddie

For Heritage Day, Dad dressed me as a frost giant. It was not so bad as when he dressed me as Sigurd the Volsung for Hero Day - at least with the frost giant, people normally guessed Marvel or Thor. As it were, I was forced to carry around a club and wear a caveman-like tunic as everyone else marched around in clogs or tucked baguettes under their arms.

"And where is your family from, Olivia?" my teacher asked candidly. I could hear the students giggle as I stood in front of them.

I smirked. "While it looks like we were Neanderthals," I explained, "we're from the Scandinavian area. Norway, Sweden, the like."

"I see." My teacher cocked an eyebrow at me. "And the outfit...?"

I sighed. "Let's just say my dad's really into Norse mythology."

"And the Thor movies, right, Olivia?" blurted out one student, causing more laughter.

"Yes," I said, then sneered evilly. "But if you don't have the hammer, I can easily kill you."

That shut them up quicker than a war cry from Asgard.

This week's prompt was provided by Daniel Bulone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues