Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

It has not been a stellar start to the year 2015. My anxiety, as to be expected, skyrocketed, especially upon hearing that 2014 was the hottest year on record for the planet, no thanks to the damn politicians who won't help anyone curb climate change. My work hours were drastically cut. As I am taking a semester off from university, I have no classes to attend to pass the time. And while my writing has been consistent, I've dropped many projects and certainly have not been as musically inspired as I hoped.

Yep, it all comes down to fear for humanity's survival, money issues, and creative ennui. Sound familiar? What may not be is the fact that I'm sick and tired of it.

I have been hunting for secondary jobs since learning that my hours would be cut, knowing that the bookstore may just be a weekend thing for me (for now, who knows). My teaching credential is still in process, and if I possibly play my cards right and get an education job at a high school, said school could potentially serve as my future student teaching site in the fall. As for the bookstore, I arranged a meeting with one of the more prominent book buyers to ask how I could start in the same line of work she has. While it sounds like I'm biting off more than I can chew, some of the career options I'm toying with take years to come into fruition, and besides, I've always wanted an opportunity to be seen as a book enthusiast and reviewer. Blurbing, as it's called, could really help me move forward in the book industry, especially since, as the book buyer I talked to said, they're really looking for newer and younger faces.

I cannot say what will come of all of this, but I am feeling absolutely invigorated right now and like I'm accomplishing something. Am I making enough money right now? No, and that won't be rectified immediately. Things will be tough for a time. But I am telling myself that I have the capacity to make a difference in my life. In my poem for Monday's Poet Corner, I mentioned how I have never considered myself an enormously ambitious person. Maybe A. I've been wrong the whole time, or B. I've figured it's time for that to change. If a fire isn't lit under my ass already, I'll grab a match and tank of gasoline and light it myself.

Not...not literally, of course. That'd be bad.

Writing, teaching, working, reading. All factors in my life right now and my future. Music is still there, despite more difficulty in songwriting. I know that I still create and produce, artistically and career-wise - after all, I'm almost done with my newest mini-series and I might start my seventh play after not writing much stage drama as of late. We'll see what happens.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

What’s writing really about? It’s about trying to take fuller possession of the reality of your life.
- Ted Hughes

Have a great night and great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD