Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I'm twenty-six years old, I'm going to San Francisco Pride tomorrow, and I figured this Facebook post I wrote about the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage to be perfect for this introspection. And also partially because I'm lazy. Shut up.

Well, everyone, it happened. After years of fighting and court cases and resistance from the opposing side, we woke up this morning to hear that same-sex marriage, by a 5-4 margin, is considered a constitutional right. This is absolutely amazing news and, at least for me personally, a great way to wake up in the morning.

But it's not over yet.

I guarantee you that we will witness a slew of anti-LGBTQ+ laws in various states, with legislatures passing numerous loopholes in regards to who can opt out of issuing marriage licenses, who can refuse service, and who can discriminate, whether or not it's under the pretense of religious freedom. There will be plenty of angry talking heads claiming that the Supreme Court has no real jurisdiction over this issue, despite the fact that they will happily praise the same justices for ruling in favor of their more conservative viewpoints. There are several religious leaders and political leaders - GOP presidential candidates included - who have threatened to disobey the highest law of the land for the sake of a skewed and toxic ideology. We can't let them have their way.

Please also remember that same-sex marriage is only the tip of the iceberg in regards to the concerns of the LGBTQ+ community. Don't get me wrong, the fact that same-sex couples, including Arden and myself, can now marry in every state is amazing. But there are so many other issues that need addressing, some of them urgent. Gay conversion therapy must be rendered obsolete and unconstitutional in every state. Actions need to be taken to reduce LGBTQ+ bullying in schools. We must reach out to queer homeless youth, end bisexual erasure, and ensure that no one can get fired from their job just because of who they are or who they happen to love. And we must especially see more legislation, such as the removal of discriminatory bathroom laws, so trans people (many of whom are subject to horrid abuse and violence that gets overlooked by the rest of the community) are actually treated like, well, people.

To everyone who has helped and fought alongside us for the cause, I thank you. We've come a long way, and we've conquered one major part of our struggle. I just hope that you're all ready to continue the journey, so we can create a greater America for LGBTQ+ people everywhere. As for me, I cannot wait for Pride tomorrow so I can partake in one massive gay celebration. I love you all.


And yeah, that's about it. 'Til next time, folks. Have a great night and a great weekend, and Happy Pride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues