Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I love my life.

I mean it. I love so much about it. The people, where I live, the technology we have, even the culture, despite the gross politics and the uphill climb for certain people's lives and aspirations. But I especially love the nuances. All the little quirks and details that I never imagined would be part of my life but are.

I never thought I would want to be a teacher until I was in college. Yet, here I am, teaching English and Social Studies at a one-on-one school, and getting my credential while working at a high school.

I never thought that my sister would be in Philadelphia with a British boyfriend. Who knew? Who really knew? But it's awesome that adventure is out there, and though I'd prefer for the two of them to still be in California, I love them and how well they're doing.

I never thought I'd be gay and marrying the absolute love of my life. Never came to mind. Not until I was seventeen.

I never thought I'd go to Ireland.

I never thought I'd finish a novel.

I never thought I'd end up dressing the way I wanted, cutting my hair short just the way I wanted, using pronouns just the way I wanted.

I never thought I'd have the amazing friends I have now.

I never thought I'd enjoy the foods I eat now.

I never thought I'd have parents and relatives who were so supportive of who I was, who I am now, and who I intend to become.

I never thought I'd be so grateful, and so happy, and so, surprisingly, content.

And now, here I am, writing a sappy introspection at my future in-laws' residence, ready to help set up, dress up for, and attend another awesome Halloween party.

I guess all that's left to type before I turn in for the night is: Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues