Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Despite the stress I have coped with so far since August, I am deeply grateful for the people and moments in my life that I have witnessed and endeavored in that time period. From my mentor teachers to my professors, from my coworkers to my credential colleagues, from my friends to my students, from my family to my fiancée. They are the reason I keep going when things become intense or almost too difficult to handle.

That being said, I also am grateful for the things I have done thus far in my attempt to earn my teaching credential and continue my work in two jobs, all while still writing at least a little bit of creative fiction or poetry every single day for the past four years.

I admittedly don't give myself a lot of credit for certain things that I can or should be proud of. I like to think that I am developing a fair equilibrium between selfless and self-oriented. I also believe my self-discipline has improved drastically since my college days. Besides writing, I have found myself taking more time to develop curricula for my students, working on and later editing assignments, and running appropriate errands and doing appropriate activities at my workplace or at home. Am I perfect at this? Not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm pretty lackluster when it comes to doing chores in a timely manner, and I certainly, and more frequently than I'd like, rush some projects and lessons due to either time restraint or exhaustion (yes, I can also be lazy. Don't judge me). Still, regardless of those hiccups, I have seen a steady rise in my ability to be organized, take time to produce great work, and focus on planning. It's been a long road and remains a long road, but I'm still travelling down it.

I think it's good for anyone, myself included, to be self-aware and capable of evaluating one's own work. I especially have to do that as I student teach. Slowly but surely, my students are warming up to my presence, and while there's still earth to be broken, it's definitely progressed since the beginning of the school year. I will be co-teaching with one of my mentors and assuming a lead teacher role in the class of my other mentor. I have taken on more students at my teaching job and still work at the bookstore, albeit, as I said before, for fewer hours. I am being very careful to watch my health throughout all of this, knowing that my well-being comes first, before anything else.

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues to go as smoothly as possible.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues