Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

On Friday, November 13th, my father lost his cousin to pneumonia. It was the anniversary of my grandmother's death. There was an earthquake in Japan. And over one hundred fifty people lost their lives in a string of terrorist attacks in the city of Paris, France.

When things like this happen, that remind us that evil exists and death is inevitable, I become speechless both verbally and linguistically. I talked with my mom, dad, and fiancée on the phone tonight (my fiancée is out of town, looking at wedding dresses), and I just couldn't convey the feelings and emotions I was going through in a proper way, whatever that means. So instead, I'm going to let someone else do it. I'm going to quote some of my idols - whether in entertainment or politics or my day-to-day life - to remind everyone of who we are as humans and what we need to do in order to be such.

From George Takei:

"I'm writing this backstage at Allegiance, my heart heavy with the news from Paris, aching for the victims and their families and friends.

There no doubt will be those who look upon immigrants and refugees as the enemy as a result of these attacks, because they look like those who perpetrated these attacks, just as peaceful Japanese Americans were viewed as the enemy after Pearl Harbor. But we must resist the urge to categorize and dehumanize, for it is that very impulse that fueled the insanity and violence perpetrated this evening.

Tonight, hold your loved ones, and pray or wish for peace, not only from guns and bombs, but from hatred and fear. If it is our freedom and joy they seek to destroy, give them not that victory. Against the forces of darkness and terror, love and compassion shall always prevail.


From President Barack Obama:

"Paris itself represents the timeless values of human progress. Those who think that they can terrorize the people of France or the values that they stand for are wrong. The American people draw strength from the French people’s commitment to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. We are reminded in this time of tragedy that the bonds of liberté and égalité and fraternité are not only values that the French people care so deeply about, but they are values that we share. And those values are going to endure far beyond any act of terrorism or the hateful vision of those who perpetrated the crimes this evening."

From my mother:

"Some things simply aren't understandable."

That last line resonated with me not only because it's the truth, but also because of what my mother said next. I can't exactly paraphrase it, but she reminded me that part of what we need to do in order to cope with tragedy is to become stronger, kinder, and better to and for one another. And I think, in the end, it's all we can do.

I just want to say I love each and every one of you. I cherish you. I respect you. I pray for you. And I hope that you all are safe and sound, and that if you have lost anyone today, may you find the strength to heal and recover in the following months.

Have a good night and weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues