Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

This week was a lot better than the last two.

This week, I moved away from politics and tried to focus more on my interests, passions, work, friends, and loved ones.

This week, I realized that I had let my anxiety interfere with my sense of authority in the classroom. I maintained a stronger power and presence as a teacher, and it paid off. My students, once slacking, discovered that I wasn't going to let them get away with not working.

This week, I was able to work with new students at my private school job and settle some issues with my current students. I learned some things the hard way. I experienced, for one of the first times, a violation of trust. And I also knew where I could improve and repair relationships.

This week, I forged stronger bonds with people I may have been disconnecting from. I was able to collaborate with my mentor teacher and have marvelous conversations and discussions. I was able to speak with students and prove to them how much I care. Tonight, while on a wonderful date at a great restaurant with my fiancée, I was told I was an amazing teacher - simply because I put energy and love into each class I taught and cared deeply about every student relationship I had.

This week, I was stronger and smarter and quicker on my feet, and that didn't mean the anxiety went away. But it quieted down, and it became more manageable, and I know that these hiccups happen, and they will continue to happen, and the difference between them will be how I handle each episode in my life.

I was able to forgive myself for a lot of things. I was able to push past my biggest fears and worries. I was able to convert my nervous energy into a determination and optimism for the future - and into opportunities to get to know people and maintain steadfast connections with my loved ones.

I was able to smile again. I laughed more than I had in a long time. I knew I had work to do - for my credential, for my teaching, for my writing, for my wedding. I knew I could triumph over any obstacle.

This week, I learned to breathe again.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD