Tonight's Poet Corner: Midnight Snack

Midnight Snack
by Belinda Roddie

I swallow a spoonful of jam from
the porcelain jar. Once the sweetness
latches onto my throat like a sugary clasp,
I stumble to the bed where her body is
pulsing, all the blood moving from curled
toes to holy halo. I kiss her, and she asks,

"You've been eating in the middle of
the night again, haven't you?" But I ignore
her question. My distended stomach is happy
enough with the small sampling of sustenance
from a pulverized fruit. My lips skip across

the curve of her shoulder. She lets out one
small, sly giggle before rolling on her side.
We are sleeping in a strawberry field,
the sun dripping gold on our faces, the seeds
still caught in the stains around our cuticles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues