Tonight's Poet Corner: Addict's Waltz

Addict's Waltz
by Belinda Roddie

I know you wanna misuse me
like Adderall, draw out a high
from my veins with an imaginary
syringe and cling to my lips as if
they're laced with something so
intoxicating that your head will
light up like a carousel at a midnight
festival. I know you want to get a buzz

when I need to concentrate; you want
to dance when I need to stop moving
for a second just to inhale something
other than your toxins. But maybe
put down the pill bottle and kiss me
for my real flavor, and sleep beside
me so we can both dream about

car rides without artificial additives,
songs without needles, rhythms without
Ritalin, promises without prescriptions,
change without bargaining. Drop the
lighter, tuck the scorched spoon into
the dishwasher, and just let our shoddy
past lives burn to the godforsaken ground.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues