Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

So! My wife and I officially are in the process of moving. We've gotten furniture, pictures, clothes, and other items into the new condo, and we're very excited. We're also extremely overwhelmed, but hey - moving's a bitch, and it costs a lot of money, too.

Our official moving date is July 7th, so we only have one more week in San Rafael. Honestly, I'm mixed about leaving this city after living here for almost four years. It was a huge part of why my life turned out the way it did: My Copperfield's job, my student teaching placement at Drake High School, my group of friends in Marin, my experiences watching my wife and sister in local theater. This is a huge change! And while I won't be too far away (traffic's abysmal getting from my former county to my current county, but what can ya do?), I want to enjoy as much quality time with my Marinite buddies as possible.

That's a hint to that particular circle of friends: Hang out with me! This week! Do eet!

We've bitten the bullet and hired a moving service to deal with the larger furniture, which will take a chunk out of our savings. But hey, we have savings, and it helps. Obviously, I'm expecting this new job to go well, so I'm really looking forward to settling into this new city and enjoying what it has to offer. It's a lovely place.

The condo itself is nice, too. It certainly doesn't have the same amount of living room space that our current apartment has, but it's got perks. For instance, we have a backyard-ish area to hang out in. We have tons of closet and storage space. We have our own washer and dryer! We don't have to park our cars in one line and switch places whenever one of us has to go somewhere! See, the little things add up, and I liked thinking about those little things as my wife and I ate sushi while sitting on an old bedsheet in the middle of our new dining/living room. I love impromptu indoor picnics.

There's a lot of family stuff happening over the holiday weekend and on the 4th of July - I really don't want to rant about America, people. Y'all know how I feel; I've made it abundantly clear. So I will enjoy the time I spend with loved ones. I'm remembering that nothing is permanent and things can change in the blink of an eye. So as I continue my transition to a new job, a new home, and a new chapter of my life, I'll hug my loved ones a little harder, talk to them more, and tell as many new stories as I can.

Because really, as I've always said, our lives are all a collection of amazing stories. Let's continue telling them.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues