Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Hey, kids! Do you like fire? 'Cause we sure got a lot of it in California this week!

So much for this week being better than last week, huh?

Yeah, this wasn't exactly a fun series of days. Even though my current town is in no imminent danger of the flames of doom, the bad air quality due to the smoke was reason enough to close down the school I work at for two days. As far as other areas in the North Bay are concerned, I'm sincerely hoping that containment will continue so that no one else - whether they are friends or former colleagues of mine or no - has to lose any more property or loved ones.

It has been a tragic week when it comes to the fires in California, and so we must obviously work together as a statewide community to rebuild. In the meantime, I'll be encouraging my Yearbook staff to create a spread about the charity and generosity of our community. Homecoming's had to be rescheduled, so presenting the work we do as students and teachers to help others is insanely important.

I have a lot of short stories to grade, too, but I was very happy to hang out with a former coworker of mine in her San Francisco residence. Over wine and pumpkin chili, we were able to shoot the breeze, catch up, and navigate how much we've grown as individuals in just a few months (after all, I left my last job only a little over two months ago). It's amazing to be able to reconnect despite how busy we both are and how crazy it's been where we live.

So, much thanks to my friends, family, and wife who have helped me navigate my anxieties and stresses throughout the week. And of course, much, much thanks to the firefighters, police officers, and emergency personnel who have assisted in managing such a crazy disaster zone. Seriously, y'all are heroes, and I wish I could better show you my appreciation for your hard work, dedication, and protection of our communities.

Obviously, some of us aren't out of the woods yet. But hey, if we keep hoping and helping, we'll be all right.

Have a great, safe night and weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues