Tonight's Poet Corner: The Warrior

The Warrior
by Belinda Roddie

Who says I need a sword and shield
to defeat the mighty dragon? I don't have
to slay him to make the kingdom safe. I'll just

leave some chocolates and fresh flowers in front
of his lair every Saturday. Maybe a glittery pink
card as well, to let him know that someone is

thinking about him. I think he'd like some
candles, too - lavender-scented, or vanilla
sugar. He can light them just by exhaling.

After a few weeks, once he finally trusts
me, we'll hang out on Sundays or Mondays,
depending on our schedules. I'll sit on a nice

throne that rests on a big pile of gold and jewels,
and we'll gossip about the king and queen -
nothing false or harmful, just idle chitchat

over tea and burned biscuits. Every dragon
loves burned biscuits. I'll let you know when
we exchange phone numbers, and when we

plan the first sleepover. After all, isn't the
best way to overcome your fear befriending
the very thing that scares you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues