Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Oh. My goodness. Gravy. It has been a Week. With a capital W.

Where do I even begin? Apart from the constant grading, the mixed news I got from a substitute teacher about my classes, an impending administrative observation because that's policy, the sheer amount of stress I see both from faculty and students...

Man, I hate being vague here, but I have to be for privacy's sake. I am tired of the piss-poor attitude from some of my students. I love most, if not all, of my students, don't get me wrong, and I want to treat them with respect. However, some of them forget, all too often, that such respect needs to be reciprocal. I am the teacher. I call the shots, I make the rules, I decide who my editors are, and I give out the grades. I am not these kids' buddy just because I happen to treat them as potential equals. They have to earn that treatment.

That means not taking advantage of how casual I can be. That means not walking all over me when I give students some semblance of control or leadership opportunities. That means understanding boundaries, knowing what to say and what not to. It means patience and understanding. Most of my students understand that. Now I want all of them to practice it.

I have a lot of work to do this weekend, but I definitely want to relax. First quarter's over, but I'm holding off the grading until Sunday. Tomorrow, I'm getting a haircut, and I'm seeing my parents with the wifey. It's going to be a day for me and my loved ones.

So, yeah. That.

In writing news, I'm adapting my short story, "And It Is Fragile," into a play! I've sort of slowed down a bit due to the craziness of this week, but it's happening, people, and we'll see if it ever sees the light of day.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go collapse and enjoy sleeping in.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues