Tonight's Poet Corner: Dynasty

Dynasty
by Belinda Roddie

Last time you said you loved me,
I swore to you that I would upend
your world like a chessboard, checkmate
the king so the queen could take
control of this glorious realm. I

held stars in both my hands and let them
burn my skin, each follicle of hair
left on my flesh bursting into
miniature fireworks before descending
like strings of phoenix feather confetti.

You told me to break my own teeth and patch
them with steel, replace my spine with
a lightning rod, stand outside in the middle
of a storm and let Mother Nature kiss
me so hard that my body flopped like a fish.

I flipped tables in empty bars, drank
absinthe and poison and developed
an immunity to both. I dodged the harder
contraband, but you managed to slip ecstasy
in the form of a touch into my cup of

decaffeinated tea, and suddenly, I was
more awake than I had ever been in the last
seven years. I was supposed to be
revolutionary. I was supposed to turn the
tides for you, transform water into wine

for you, break world records just with
a smile and a laugh, follow you on tightropes
until we reached skyscrapers. I told you
I'd carry you to the ends of the galaxy,
just to see if it was exactly like Earth,

and all we could do was circumnavigate it.
Go around in circles. I guess you got tired
of scaled-down infinities, living in a kingdom
the size of an architectural model, wearing
a crown built from brass instead of diamond.

I guess you got tired of the endless summer
that only produced longer heat waves, melting us
into lethargic puddles of cheap nostalgia. I guess
you got tired of the bargain thrills of local
carnivals, riding in a rocket ship tethered

to the ground by chains instead of shooting
into the cosmos like a stubborn cork flying
out of champagne. I guess you got tired
of moonlit strolls into black holes. I guess
you got tired of gifts wrapped up in tin foil

and dirty linens. You got tired of arguments,
of second chances, of third chances, of maybe
next times and let's do it tomorrows, of staged
readings that never led to glamorous opening nights
and curtain calls, of whispered nothings holding less

nutritional value than sugar. There was nothing
romantic to you about repeats. There was nothing
romantic about playing the same song fifty times
in a single evening, just so the dance we choreographed
together could be improved one step at a time, when all

you wanted was to try something new with your
hips and the way you dipped your hair in fresh
sunlight. I knew that the canned words I saved
in the back of my mouth weren't enough
to stop you from pulling out your childhood atlas 

and taking a crayon to every country you felt like
you could forge a new beginning in. You color
coded everything, drew arrows to the cities
that held your heart in fragments that I couldn't
glue back together. When you decided that it

was time to fly, I was never going to be
responsible for clipping your wings. I watched you
flee that gilded cage in medieval suburbia that you
lived in under the pretense that a throne was included.
I'm not saying I can't be a wanderer or voyager.

It's just that there has to be a home
for this weary traveler when they finally
decide to weigh anchor. You never needed
a safe haven like I did, so here we are,
both aware of how fragile and flimsy

a promise is when it's written on wet paper. 
I never won that game of chess, though
it's funny because there's an irony you can taste
on the very base of your tongue: Chessboards
are limited universes. There are edges and borders

cutting you off from escaping the grid, rules
forced on you, telling you where you can go
and how you can move and when - and worst
of all, the game expects you to wait your turn.
You couldn't handle that. Not even queens

can walk in whichever angles they want,
breaking the boundaries of their sandboxes. They
can build palaces and command royal subjects, but
ultimately, the fantasy is shattered when everything
is manufactured from dust and dirt. So you

smashed your tiara and altered history yourself, and
I collected the pieces like lost children. Last time
you said you loved me, I swore I'd give you freedom. 
Now I see it was never mine to bequeath to you.
All you had to do was run away from the castle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues