Tonight's Poet Corner: Heat

Heat
by Belinda Roddie

The warmth is something I've missed:
you hold me to your bosom, nuzzle the
bare skin on my neck. The rain makes
confetti outside, and the chill celebrates
its longer stay. I'd like to rest here

with you, under these sheets, for as
long as possible. Pretend that time
has pulled over for a pit stop, slowed
down enough for gossip at the water
cooler. I place my fingers on your cheek,

and the divots and dimples are second
homes to them. This temperature, I realize,
is temporary, and once I strip the layers
away, all the energy we've converted will
escape and hide in the corners and in

the cracked mouths of the walls. See,
the thing is, I know and adore how gay
this is: Our curves are symmetrical.
They connect like the softer edges of
a jigsaw puzzle, or like clay mixed

into a big rainbow ball. I'm still digesting
how much you cherish even the parts of
me that you don't like. Because at least
one of us can kiss the scars without
wincing or feeling trauma's stings.

You hold me like I'm your last lifeline,
draw concave pictures on my body with
your lips, leave dents that combine into
a gentle impression of your fancies along
every part of me that isn't broken. I've

written so many love poems for you,
and yet, not one feels finished. I have
more words to share with you, and
they're still backed up in my mouth,
and when I let them caress your ear,
they produce even more heat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD