Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

It's happening. School starts again on Monday. I am at a new school in a new district, teaching new students and working with a new faculty. I have a new classroom, I'm teaching new books, and I'm actually working with new grades. Sophomores! Seniors! Freshmen! For the first time ever, I am teaching a 9th grade class. And this is after honors has been removed, so it'll be interesting!

Honestly, I would not be as comfortable and confident as I am now without the help of some of my amazing new colleagues. Heck, I only learned I was teaching 9th grade English (known as English 1) at my school two days ago, and I got so much support. I'm of course nervous about how this year is going to go - I really want to do well - but I think it'll be a very good year, with a lot of opportunities for me to improve my classroom management skills, my approach to equity, and my development of consistent expectations, rules, and disciplinary strategies.

It also feels good to know that I have some solid first days planned, and after that, I'll be working 90 minute blocks every day with two sections of English 4 and one section of English 1. So that's like doing two lessons instead of just one - phew! This'll be one hell of a ride!

In other news, Arden and I are getting ever closer to getting my novel, [Insert Self-Discovery Here], onto Amazon and IngramSpark. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties and a need to review some of the proofs, we have decided to postpone the official publishing date to Tuesday, August 27th. I think it's for the best for a lot of reasons, especially since it'll allow me to settle in at my new school and feel like I've got a good grip on everything. I'm super stoked to get this novel out in the open for all of you to purchase and enjoy, be it a hard copy or an online version. It's happening, folks - it's really happening!

Just to give you a little teaser, here's the synopsis that will be on the back of the cover:

Jamie has never exactly been sure about what she wants to do in life, despite an initial plan to become a history teacher sans a passion for history. So when the motive for her education and work – her girlfriend Emily – breaks up with her after their college graduation, she’s left with the typical twenty-something depression and a complete lack of direction in her life.

Enter Devin, an old friend and “free spirit” who offers Jamie a chance to do something remotely fulfilling for the year; specifically, they will be taking care of and renting out Devin’s Uncle Aaron’s property in the small wooded town of Pensalado. Caught in the middle of the wilderness with no technology past the nineteen nineties, a hippie Devin, a fabulously gay Kyle, and a snarky yet wounded Rachel (who ultimately becomes an unprecedented target of affection. Big shocker) – Jamie has the chance to learn to cope, rebuild, and figure out a new goal. Even if that goal, as it may turn out, is simply to improvise.


Want to read it now? Is it gay enough for ya? I sure hope so!

So, this weekend will be a time for me to replenish and prepare. I have a few more things to type up and several items to buy for my classroom. I will also be going to a choral performance on Sunday evening, so I may not be home until later than anticipated; not like I'll be getting much sleep that night, anyway, knowing me! So it'll be good to see my parents and get some assurance from them that I'm going to be okay.

Confidence, Roddie. Focus and confidence. You've got this.

I'll leave you all with a photo of a rainbow flag made out of cranes that I have recently added to my new classroom. I'll be working a lot with my students to put up posters and other decorations, but this is strictly for me. It was created by a wonderful student of mine and really helps express who I am and what I strive for as a teacher and individual. I love having it in my room.



Onwards, friends!

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD