Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Hoo, boy. An overall good week ended kind of weirdly, but also still kind of well.

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy for the break. But sometimes, I just make those stupid mistakes that I don't want to have come bite me in the ass down the line, and because I'm not going to be overwhelmed with work, I'm going to have a loooooot of time to overthink things.

I tend to overcompensate for said mistakes by constantly talking about them and attempting to atone for them. Maybe it's the Catholic background, or maybe it's the fact that when I haven't gone all mea culpa, there have been ridiculous consequences. Then again, when I've gotten really emotional and guilty, that's also backfired. Why did I have to be born a clumsy meat bag full of feelings?

Still, as we approach Thanksgiving, there's a lot for me to be thankful for. My family, my friends, my mentors, my coworkers, my students. One of my TAs actually wrote me a really sweet letter, telling me how thankful she was to have me as a teacher. That certainly warmed me up on an otherwise chilly day (and yes, I know it's California level chilly, twinsie. Shush and enjoy your New York weather).

Parents have been showing gratitude as well, and despite any hiccup I face, I think, overall, I'm doing really well at my school. Yes, I constantly worry about getting nonreelected for...I dunno, stupid non-existent problems. Because anxiety's a bitch. I sincerely hope they want to keep me; I can tell you right now, I am fighting to keep this position and stay with these kids - they are awesome and deserve compassionate and real teachers like I believe I am.

Tomorrow, I'll get to see my in-laws and my wife's grandpa for an early Thanksgiving celebration. After that, I'll enjoy the week off, seeing my family for real Thanksgiving, all while writing and still a hell of a lot of grading. Tonight, I went to my former school's improv show, and I even went onstage and helped out with a scene! That was pretty dang awesome, and former teachers and students alike seemed thrilled to see me. I got a lot of hugs, handshakes, and high fives.

So, yeah. This holiday break, I'm gonna eat, drink, and be merry. And work on stuff, too, I suppose. I hope wherever you are and whomever you're with that you are happy, safe, and healthy this Thanksgiving. I love you all; stay awesome.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues