Tonight's Poet Corner: Common Sense

Common Sense
by Belinda Roddie

It would only be rational if I left
every word of you blurred and melted
on the page. If I burned every book
you wrote, emptied every poisoned cup
you poured, shattered every mirror
you hung up with a warped reflection
so that I always saw your face instead of mine.

Instead, I continue to pore over each story
you told. I have sipped from each chalice
as if I can build immunity to your toxins.
And somehow, I have become accustomed
to my visage appearing to me, oddly,
somewhat like yours.

There is no common sense left in
this house of shadows. There's no music,
no dancing, no meditation or introspection.
I ran out of the supply years ago, and
for some reason, I don't have the strength
anymore to go and find more. As if I can
make my own. As if you didn't deprive
me of the ingredients.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues