Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

It's been...quite a week. Quit one job, started another. Been writing, of course. While maybe some days I'll feel too lazy to write the next great novel, I'm writing a lot more productively than I did sometimes as a student or as an unemployed young woman. And honestly, besides reading, watching movies, playing online games, going out for a drink, or just having fun with family and friends - a big chunk of free time I use after school/work/whatever is for writing, songwriting, playing guitar, and performing.

Yes, truth be told, I'm writing a decent amount. Brainstorming for a TV show. I restarted my graphic novel scriptwriting. I've been writing poetry. Lots of poetry. As you can see. And tomorrow, of course, will be another Storyteller - a segment I have a love/hate relationship with. But hey...it works.

Also, tonight I watched one of my new favorite movies: Beginners, with Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, and Mélanie Laurent. You don't know who she is? Watch Inglourious Basterds. Beginners is a fantastic movie. Yes, it's a slower movie, but the characters are beautiful. I loved everyone in the film. The writing was perfect, the pacing and style just synced. The non-linear storytelling was spot on. And it really made me think about relationships a lot and how I really am a "beginner" in the game of love.

Ewan McGregor's character, whose name is Oliver, is a man who gives up very easily in relationships, while his father is working hard in his old age to be himself and find someone to love even when ill. But Oliver is a shining example of young couples, especially in this day and age. We, as young lovers, are terrified of sadness. When we are sad in a relationship, we think fatalistically, that it must not be working out. If we feel a little disenchanted with our lovers, our expectations just skyrocket especially after the honeymoon phase or the "month of mystery," as I call it. And as a result, we fall out of love when really it was always there.

I find sadness to be a useful emotion. Yes, it hurts. But as the movie quotes the Velveteen Rabbit, that's what it's like to be real. To live. To love. And by God, I will not cower in the face of doubt or adversity, especially with the woman who I believe is the love of my life. And Arden, if you're reading this - and you definitely are - you will always be mo chuisle. Love you, my little fellow beginner.

Also, watching Beginners was totally a result of laughing awkwardly through the first 30 minutes of an independent film called The Perfect Host before turning it off. Seriously...a dark comedy about a sadomasochistic, schizophrenic, and yet still somewhat fabulous murderer played by David Hyde Pierce. Strangely enough, you'd turn that off, too.

But I digress. On to the recommendations!

Recommended Book: Neuromancer by William Gibson
I confess: I haven't finished this yet. But what I've read so far is awesome. So read it. Chances are, you'll finish it before I do.

Recommended Poet: Allen Ginsberg
One word: Howl. Also, I thought of this because he was mentioned in the movie Beginners. Yay for poet references in contemporary cinema.

Recommended Music: Kaki King
Great guitar work. I don't need to explain anything else.

Recommended Drink before Bed: Water
Because it's good for you.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

The man who writes about himself and his own time is the only man who writes about all people and all time.
-George Bernard Shaw

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues