Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I know many people who are not genuine. People who are vindictive, judgmental, cold, ruthless. People who hide their true feelings of me behind a paper maché mask that I wish I could've seen through.

Whether in a work environment, school environment, or even in my comraderie of friends, I have confronted this ingenuity. Honestly, it's hard to spot sometimes. It's hard to differentiate kindness from phoniness. It's a talent people have. A talent I wish they didn't have.

These types of people have done a very good job of attempting to batter down the self-esteem I have worked so hard to build. But I'm not going to let that happen. Not ever. For every fake friend, there are a dozen true friends. For every false colleague, there are a dozen true mentors. And I always make myself remember that.

These past few months have reminded me who I truly am. A woman who is not afraid to dress the way she likes, to be who she is, to love honestly and purely. A woman who can write, who can sing, and who can perform - and who really wants to do more of all three. A woman who does not take anyone's shit, and who will respect those who discuss matters and criticisms like any kind human being should - openly, not with a knife behind the curtain.

It's also reminded me of who is really important in my life. While I am truly aware of my beautiful family and my incredible girlfriend - and am reminded very much of how much I love them and remind them of such on a daily, maybe hourly basis - I almost forgot about the friends I made through four years of college. Friends who were first my older mentors. Friends who applauded for my true talents. Friends who were there to hold me when I cried or had anxiety attacks. Friends who played music with me, sang with me, danced with me, laughed with me and talked with me. I almost didn't remember them. And now I do.

As Christmas approaches, I am trying to get back into touch with these beloved friends of mine. I talked on the phone with one close friend and former bandmate and simply talked. I wrote a Facebook note proclaiming my love for my Chapman University colleagues and buddies, dripping with sap. And now, I raise my glass to you all, and I promise to visit you all some day. That, or you can visit me. Nyeh.

So a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to those who are genuine in life - to those who love and do not drink vitriol from a goblet. To those who are honest and kind and compassionate, and who try to better others, not cut them down. I wish nothing but the best to you all.

And now, the recommendations:

Recommended Book: Dubliners by James Joyce
Want to read about Irish people who are paralyzed in their own history and culture? No? Read these short stories anyway.

Recommended Poet: Lynn Emmanuel  
Look for Noose and Hook. Yeah. Do it.

Recommended Music: Boards of Canada
The perfect atmospheric music. Instrumental is great for relaxation.

Recommended Drink before Bed: Red Wine
I don't like it much, but you might.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

Learning as much by writing as by reading.
- Lord Acton

Have a wonderful night and a very Merry Christmas, everyone. Or whatever you celebrate. Enjoy it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD