Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 34.0: July 17th, 2007

Lullaby
by Belinda Roddie

A thousand times I’ve seen these trees, a thousand leaves
Have borne me up to greater heights, majestic nights
And fireflies’ light
And as I drift over where wanderers roam, and frisky gnomes
Gather their tools to end the day of work and play
So now the world goes to chambers deep
To comfort me as I drift to sleep

A thousand rays of golden heat and swollen beats
Of sun play music on my brow, I drop my plow
And saunter now
And then I drift to my mother’s lap, while flowers snap
Up drops of dusky mist in evening’s bliss
Before their petals close and crickets creep
Observing me as I drift to sleep

I ask to hear a song before I wake
A song of peace before the dawn breaks

A thousand feet have touched this soil, on which I’ve toiled
To grow the seeds I once caressed in hands all dressed
In leather best
And my eyes drift back to gardening days and farmers gray
Who drop their hats to see the sight of lunar light
That in the crystal rivers slowly seeps
Glowing as I drift to sleep

A thousand stars I’ve wished on now, I don’t know how,
But every one appears in green and silver sheen
In all my dreams
And leaves will drift to adorn the king, who softly sings
The song I have been wishing for, a metaphor
For childhood when I watched the hoppers leap
Before I drifted off to sleep

I ask to hear the song before I wake
A song of peace before the dawn breaks

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since July 17th, 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues