Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 36.1: May 9th, 2010

"Caramel Kisses" is an unfinished novel I began to write back in 2009 and stopped working on in 2010. The two main characters - Adriana Maguire Reynard and Emma Burking - would ultimately be revised for my later completed novella, "The Liffey Is Half-Asleep," in 2011. Several elements of "Liffey" can be found in their original forms in "Caramel Kisses," such as the characters' names, the haiku scene, and Adriana's penchant for writing.

Because of its influence on my later writing, I figured that this story, though incomplete, was worth sharing.

Caramel Kisses: Chapter Twenty-Two
by Belinda Roddie

You gave me caramel kisses under the redwood trees. Drawing me to your swollen chest, with leaves tangled in your hair, curling in the autumn winds, you breathed into me. You tasted so sweet, giving me caramel kisses under the redwood trees.

We were alone now, in the depths of Muir Woods. The path waited patiently for us to tread upon it again, kicking up dirt as we walked holding hands. The sun was caught in the branches of the mighty towers of nature rising above us, and we felt as if the whole world were guarding us from the sun and wind and harsh realities. We were alone now, in the depths of Muir Woods.

Thank you, my love, for our bond of golden rings. You could have refused my offering, almost sacrificial, almost ritualistic. But we have wed and the gold and sapphire is a part of the fire of the forest, the fire that hides behind shadows of summer leaves and fallen trees. Thank you, my love, for our bond of golden rings.

This was what it was like to be a king. And you, my queen, did not abdicate your throne. We held each other until we grew too warm, took time to cool our heads and hearts, and embraced again. Your cheekbones, so high and perfect to kiss. Your eyes, the sweet chocolate I could almost taste just by staring into them. Your hair like the autumn on a May afternoon. Your crown, which became my crown as you pressed into me, letting your curls fall upon my shoulder. This was what it was like to be a king.

But most importantly, you gave me those kisses under the redwood trees. I drew you to me with the kingdom at our feet, whispering that it was yours and I was yours, forever. I breathed into you, to let you know I was still alive. And I hope I tasted sweet, too, like caramel, giving you kisses under the redwood trees.

You tasted so sweet, giving me caramel kisses under the redwood trees.

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since May 9th, 2010.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues