Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

It's official. My wedding date is set. We've picked a venue, we have a contract filled out and ready to send in, and we have the specific day on hold. I know exactly where I will get married and where we will have the reception. I am more than excited. The very word excited doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'm sure a lot of you know that I very much love my fiancée, but some of you may not understand exactly how much I do. It can sometimes be easy for people to think about the "what ifs" - what it'd be like to go on a date with someone else, or kiss someone else, or hold someone else. But when it gets down to the less physical and more emotional things - getting married, buying a house, raising a family, growing old together - my fiancée is the only person in the world who I can ever imagine being at my side for my entire life.

There's a lot to plan and a lot to work on, and I'm glad that we have a good chunk of time to do so. Once the contract's sent in, we'll be able to start talking to potential caterers, planning our engagement photo shoot, and getting down to the nitty gritty parts of our wedding. Both sets of parents are being extremely generous in helping out financially and otherwise. I know what the color of my suit will be and what the color of our bridemaids' dresses will be. I have started to create a song list for the reception. I know for a fact that my sister (maid of honor) and one of my best friends (best man) is planning a super special (and secret) party for me. Sometimes, I can't believe that this is all really happening.

As I prep for returning to school, finalize my job options, continue to write, and deal with the busier parts of my life, I know I can think about this wedding and find comfort. It sounds a bit ironic, I know - that I can be calmed down by a forthcoming event that sometimes is anything but calming - but the concept of marrying the love of my life is just a beautiful concept to hold mentally. To this day, either my fiancée or I will comment on the wedding with a tone of wonder and euphoria. This is more than just a legally binding contract that we didn't think we'd be able to actually do until Prop 8 was overruled in 2013. It's also the uniting of the two of us together for the rest of our lives. The Christians would say that we are becoming one person. That, or they'd scoff at the idea that two women are getting married, but, you know, forget them, right?

Anyway, that's enough annoying gushing for now. I had a nice dinner with my parents tonight, and I have a busy weekend at the bookstore ahead of me. Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone, and next week, I'll be writing the introspection from my future in-laws' house, since my fiancée and I are taking a long overdue vacation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues