Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I have learned a lot about my students in the past week. Hearing them talk about books and seeing their work in class says a lot more about them than I think they're even aware of. And one thing I have definitely noticed is how creative and talented these students are.

See, one thing that really bothers me about California universities is that their requirements no longer leave room for more creative writing. Even essay writing can show some creativity, but the steady push for nonfiction and rhetoric completely ignores the fact that you become a stronger writer by being permitted to use your imagination. In both classes that I am student teaching at my high school site, my mentor teachers have assigned short stories. One teacher has provided basic benchmarks: A character, a need, and an obstacle, in three acts. Another teacher has them thinking about motif, conflict, and drive. The ideas I see from these students - mostly sixteen or seventeen years old - are remarkable. And their styles shine.

One student of mine is like Douglas Adams reincarnated. Another has a type of sharp sass that I just love to see in fiction. Another, well, they demonstrate how a lack of creativity and engaging work in the classroom can hamper self-esteem. This is a dramatized reenactment of the conversation I had with this third student, who was having difficulty figuring out a need and obstacle for their character, who happens to be a runaway:

Me: Do you write a lot?

Student: I used to, but I don't as much anymore because I'm not very good at it.

Me: Okay, don't ever say that. If I had told myself that, I would never write again. May I take a look at what you have so far?

Student: Sure.

They hand me their story thus far. I read it.

Me: This is really good. You have a strong character, a strong opening scene. Good grasp of the language, too.

Irrational Part Of My Brain: JESUS CHRIST THIS IS GOLD LIKE SOLID GOLD HOW CAN THIS STUDENT NOT THINK THEY'RE A GOOD WRITER SO HELP ME GOD IF THEY KEEP THINKING THEY'RE BAD I WILL PRINT OUT ALL OF MY WRITING AND BURN IT.

Rational Part Of My Brain: Now, hold on there, partner. Don't you think that's a little extreme?

Irrational Part Of My Brain: BURN IT. BURN IT ALL.

Me to the Student: ...Yeah, don't ever put yourself down again.


The school system in my country, let alone my state, does not encourage the type of confidence you need to continue to be an artist, let alone a writer. And as the very wise Demi Lovato asked recently, "What's wrong with being confident?" I hope that, as a teacher, I can continue to promote a creative environment for my English students to thrive in. Sure, we may have to do research projects and essays and focus on nonfiction. But as I told one of my mentor teachers, creative writing leads to creative thinking, which is absolutely necessary in more social and emotional aspects of life, as well as necessary in your career. The humanities are so overlooked when they truly supplement a skill set you rely on to succeed as a human being, not just an adult.

And that's why I will continue to be a writer, and I hope my students are inspired to do the same in one form or another.

For now, it's just reminding them to do it, without scrutinizing it too much along the way.

As a side note, Happy Birthday, Oscar Wilde. Enjoy lounging in your great divan in the sky.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues