Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Right now, I am sitting in the living room of my friends Chris and José's condo. It's almost eleven o'clock, on the very first day of 2016. I have been in Southern California for five days and five nights. I have met up with old buddies, revisited some of my favorite eateries, brought out the guitar and mandolin for jamming times, resisted the urge to buy a dulcimer, and cheered in the new year with peach sorbet and champagne.

2015 was, overall, a very good year for me. It was also a busy, crazy, stress-inducing year. I jumped into my student teaching assignment feet first, working with two mentor teachers and over fifty students. I designed unit plans, learning segments, and scaffolding strategies in class. I continued to work at my private school job, teaching classes I never thought I would teach, like economics. I even worked a couple of shifts a week at my bookstore job before I finally requested to be designated as an on-call employee. Through it all, I continued to maintain this blog, having completed over three thousand posts since 2011.

I've started some writing projects even though I haven't always finished them. I've bonded with students at both my teaching sites. I've seen my sister off to Philadelphia after she moved with her boyfriend. I've celebrated my fourth year being with my amazing fiancée. I've begun planning my wedding, having figured out the venue, the caterer, and other factors - Arden even picked out her dress.

And to wrap it all up was an overdue trip to Southern California, to revisit my old college stomping grounds, reunite with some of my closest friends, and celebrate the new year with people I care about.

This year will most likely be even more anxiety-inducing than the last. I will be officially student teaching starting next week. I will be getting married in October. I will have to endure a toxic and agitating presidential election in my country. This year is all about taking deep breaths, moving forward, and accomplishing things I never thought I'd even have the chance to try.

Thank you all for being with me during 2015, and I hope that you continue to read my scribblings throughout 2016.

Happy New Year, everyone, and have a great weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD