Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Okay. I know that lately, I've been either negative or neutral in my introspections, whether they're brief or overextended. I've talked about how much work I've done. I've opened up about stress and anxiety. I've sometimes really abbreviated what's happened in the week. Tonight's different - though I can't guarantee this won't be concise.

This week was, above all, a week of achievements.

To begin, I passed my PACT. For those of you who need a refresher, PACT stands for Performance Assessment for California Teachers. I turned in seventy pages of writing and lesson planning, as well as two video clips of teaching at my student teaching site. The verdict: Well, like I said, I passed. PACT was the main hurdle I had to jump to become a teacher. And I jumped it.

I renewed my CPR training. That's a necessity to get my teaching credential, though I have to heckle the fire district to actually mail me my updated certification. Nothing's arrived in the mail yet!

Tomorrow marks my first year anniversary working at my private school. I have to say that my experiences there have been enlightening, invigorating, and overall a stark reminder of why I'm teaching. I love my students. I adore my coworkers. And I thank my Head of School for giving me the opportunity to be part of an amazingly vibrant and supportive community. She has been so patient as I've gone through my credential program, and the fact that she was excited when I said I'd soon be able to work full-time meant a lot to me. I can't wait to spend another year (or more!) there.

My wedding's in a little more than five months! And we've taken care of a lot. Our venue is covered. Our caterer is covered. Our photography is covered. Our videography is covered. We have our registries up, our centerpieces for tables coming together. My mother has been an amazing support as my fiancée and I have navigated our wedding planning. She's that awesome.

I've continued to update this blog on a daily basis. I've had students wowed by the poetry I've shared. I've managed to develop curricula that inspires most of the students I teach (you can't please 'em all). I overall feel fulfilled as a writer and as an educator. That's a damn good feeling.

And I'm not the only one moving on to greater things! My fiancée finally quit a job that she wasn't happy at. Her plan is to be a freelance artist and content creator on Youtube. I am so excited for her and will support her every step of the way.

So, yeah. It's been a week of achievements, and I'm not done yet. For the first time in four months, I'll be working at the local bookstore, helping with Independent Bookstore Day. I will be graduating from Sonoma State the following month. I will continue my student teaching and expanding my creative craft. Yes, things aren't perfect and a lot of things, including the political climate, are bothering me (one reason rhymes with Grump, another with Bruise).  But there is a lot happening that is so wonderful and a positive culmination of everything I've worked so hard to accomplish.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. And when she does, she's got a Hell of a voice.

Have a great night and great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues