Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Welp. I turned in my PACT. I organized a Dapper Day at my private school. The baseball season's started, and my number one team (Go, Giants!) is now leading in their division after a walk-off win tonight against the Dodgers. I'd say this was a productive week.

Apart from that, I'm just gonna leave you with some weird poetic smatterings I wrote in an English class I ran for a student of mine. We listened to instrumental music and wrote whatever came to our heads. I'm a firm believer of working along with the student rather than merely observing them work. So here's my lingual offering:

Reaction to “Lionheart” by Emancipator

Her neck elongates –
The feathers blossom into a royal plume,
a swan’s corsage, a wiling rose
before a final dance.

See the fat man playing the pipes
on the street corner. His face is black
like the heels of your boots. His eyes are
rimmed pink like your bruised
slippers. You cannot dance – but God
knows you try.

I’ve punched a wall so many times
that I’ve stopped bleeding from my knuckles.
The calluses are like barnacles. I am becoming
a sea monster without the sea.

***

Reaction to “Marooned” by Pink Floyd

Blue steams swirls in serpentine coils,
Leaving a trail of salt along my ankles.
I am not trying to abandon
this ship, but I am trying to sink it.
Drowning would just be par for the course.

***

Not too bad, I hope? Very spur of the moment writing. This weekend, I'll be seeing my sister's boyfriend, who's on a trip in the bay area, and then on Wednesday, I'm heading to Philadelphia to actually see my sister for the first time in over nine months! I'm very excited, and I'm definitely looking forward to a lovely twin reunion.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues