Tonight's Poet Corner: Grubby Hubby

Grubby Hubby
by Belinda Roddie

There's my grubby hubby
tromping down the stairs,
wearing the same old T-shirt
with chip crumbs in his hair.
He's done with video games tonight,
so now it's time for beer.
He gets one for me, too, y'know -
he's really such a dear.

My grubby hubby gives good hugs
and cusses like a tar,
burping out the alphabet
while he drives his beat up car.
He makes the kids laugh when he does
his staple "belly shake,"
a dance move he invented
to make giggly jawlines ache.

The neighbors don't like him so much -
they think he's far too dirty.
Except for Missus Shaw, that is -
with him, she gets real flirty.
She tries to sneak him pizza rolls
when he's mowing the lawn,
but all her talk of chia pets
just makes both of us yawn.

The dads along the block say that
my hubby's such a mess
because of how he holds himself
and 'cause of how he's dressed.
They want to put him in a suit
and have him match their hairdos.
They don't like that he works from home
and makes much more than they do.

My grubby hubby doesn't mind
the grunts and stares and glances.
He keeps sharing his mead with me
and never stops his dances.
It's time for bed - he kisses me
and tromps back to his room.
I love my grubby hubby,
and he loves his hubby, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues