Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I don't make a lot of money as a teacher. It's a fact that made me reluctant to go into education at first, and it pains me that each day, I'm paid way less than I'm actually worth. There have been times in which I've heavily debated whether or not I should switch to a job that provides me more income - of course, given my skill set and experience, it'd be a bit difficult for me to just uproot my career path and force it into a different direction.

Also, I like teaching.

That's because the moments I share with students are worth it, and not just in the usual "I make English interesting" or "The yearbook actually looks pretty decent" way. During one Access period this week, I took out my guitar and performed some songs in front of my English and Yearbook students. Turns out, a student shared a video of my playing and singing with her friends, stating, "Best Teacher Ever!" I've been able to sing with the teenagers I teach as a result, and it means a lot to them. It's nice to blend academia with music and creative energy.

I also recently went to the school play, which was fun and fantasy-filled and delightfully gay. My Yearbook students interviewed one of the actresses, and apparently, the conversation I had with her wound up meaning a lot to her. I'm not ashamed of my sexuality, and at school, I'm open about the fact that I have a wife. I told the student we interviewed that my wife and I said to one another that we would have benefited so much from having this play produced at our high schools - and that it took me a long time to feel validated as a gay individual because I didn't have that kind of representation when I was a teenager. She took that story with her; my words were significant in a positive way. And that made me feel good.

The state where I live is getting more expensive. If the horrific tax plan goes through, it'll be even worse. I don't know how long I'll be able to support myself financially in my county. I hope I get to stay where I am. This school needs more teachers like me. This city needs more residents like me: People who are open and not ashamed. I have had students screech homophobic vitriol behind my back. I have had them question my gender identity and make ignorant remarks about my life and my interests. That does not scare me.

I don't make a lot of money as a teacher.

But I make a whole lot of goddamn difference.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues