Tonight's Poet Corner: Dipped In All The Colors

Dipped In All The Colors
by Belinda Roddie

These shadows on the walls want
me to snap myself in half. I'm trying
to stay ahead, but still, my brain
is understaffed. I'm running graveyard
shifts, but I might be digging my own
grave. Who needs to spare a soul when
they say mine needs to be saved? They're
calling me depraved because they think I've
misbehaved, but shadows don't know
shit beyond a simple silhouette. They
like to claim they gamble when they've
never placed a bet. I've bet my fucking
livelihood on things they've never felt,
just trying every single goddamn day to
be myself. 

I'm dressed all dapper, suit's a snapper,
but my eyes are neon. They glow brighter
than signatures all written out in crayon.
You like to be all vintage, but I'm
meant for this new eon. I'll warm you up
and chill you down; I'm made of fucking
freon. I'm built out of the bricks thrown
by the great Marsha P. Johnson. I owe
my love to gals like her for keeping up the
haunting. Their ghosts are fucking fabulous -
yeah, they'll live on forever. And if you pull
a stunner, girl, I'll say they wore it better. I'm
looking at the forecast, and we're in for stormy
weather, but the sun comes out eventually, so
there's time for the spectrum. 

The shadows want me burned out so
I'll stumble toward redemption, but seeing
that I've done no wrong, can I get an exemption?
My wife is waiting for me to come home
for a nice evening, so shadows, scurry off,
or else I'll force you into leaving. My stories
are worth telling, starring ladies who are kissing
no one else but other ladies - don't you tell them
what they're missing. They've run laps around
their parents who look out for male suitors, make
sure that they're newly neutered, primed and primped
and smartly tutored. No, I'm not going for fellows. 
I like beauties in a skirt, or a woman in a suit
like me; now, that could never hurt.

Hey, shadows, want to play a game? I'd hate
to make you lose. You think I'm damned
forever, but you're caught in your own noose.
You want me back in the closet? Darling, I'm
gonna say no. It won't take me back, dipped in
all the colors of the rainbow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD