Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Welp. It's official: I turned twenty-nine yesterday. I had a lovely day with the wifey - we got milkshakes downtown, she made me dinner, we watched Grace and Frankie, we ate storebought cupcakes. I got some nice gifts from both my wife and my in-laws, and I'm planning on seeing my parents and my brother on Sunday for more celebration.

I obviously don't feel any different at twenty-nine than I did at twenty-eight, or twenty-seven. It's wonderful to think about how far I've come, though. I've been together with my wife for more than seven years, married for over a year and a half. I've completed my first year as a public high school teacher, as well as my first year of induction (out of two, in order to clear my credential). I've continued to create, add to, and revise writing projects. I've gone to the gym more and shed a lot of weight. I got my teeth cleaned for the first time in almost three years! I feel a lot lighter (literally and figuratively) and a lot more stable. To think, five years ago, I hadn't even started my job at Copperfield's Books yet.

Of course, I'm going to enjoy the Hell of my last year in my twenties. After that, it's the big thirty. My mom sometimes scoffs at the fact that people my age consider being in their thirties "old." Obviously, that's not the case; I also see it differently. I actually am kind of intrigued as to how this next decade will be for me. I find an age like thirty-two to be a good, solid age, for example. I dunno - it just feels legit. I'm not in a rush to get there, but I'm not exactly worried about reaching my third decade of existence.

So there ya go. I'm still young, and I'm doing okay. I'm almost halfway through teaching summer school, and the heat hasn't been too nasty (yet). I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Now, if only we could get rid of this proto-fascist government in the good ol' U.S. of A...

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues